View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Control: Wayne Houchin
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:35 pm 
Team Penguin

While waiting for the SNC to end over at Penguins competitors website, I decided that I would do you all a favour in making a review for my new favorite DVD.

Also, at first I never wanted to buy this DVD: I went out on a limb and bought it because Wayne and Danny were in it. And I was very, very surpirsed.

Here we go.

Yo, yo runnin' out of creative things to say://
Quote:
// Hear. Feel. Control.
From the creator of Sinful, Stigmata, Indecent, and Ultragaff comes CONTROL. Cause your heart to slow down... and completely stop. An effect that has been developed and refined over half a decade of careful experimentation and performance in WH's professional repertoire, CONTROL is beautifully simple and strikingly powerful.

Over 2 hours in length, the video also features a bonus effect during which a spectator hears your heart stop. Witness the triumphant return of Randall and more.

. 100% Safe, Effective, and Reliable

. No Setup; No Gimmicks

. Includes STOP by Daniel Garcia

. Learn to stop a borrowed watch

. With: Dexter, Randall, and Daniel Garcia

And... Dare I say... They ain't lying...

Case and DVD Menu:

The case is amazing, very high quality of Wayne's feet. The same picture that you see when browsing the title.

The menu is nice, having Wayne talk very quietly and then it turn into an arm with the 5 options. Easy to navigate.

Teacher:

It is Wayne Houchin and Danny Garcia. Two people who, when put together, become HILLARIOUS and are very, very good teachers. Nothing needs to be repeated. But some of it becomes a tad redundant... But it is very helpful and still is quite entertaining.

Live Footage:

I felt the need to point something out. The live footage of Control and an invisible palm routine that Wayne does (performance only of the IP) was filmed at a Christmas Party Wayne was paid to be at. It was a great show, and Wayne is a edited of a showman.

Effects:

Control:

Wayne Houchin's effect. And it is awesome. The spectator's feel your heart stop. He teaches ways to make this play close up, stage, parlour or anything. This is excellently taught, and a tecnique that you will be kicking yourself for not coming up with. It is really, really good.

I at first was scared of it, not because of danger or anything, it is safe, but because of how bold it is. But after seeing the section with Randall, who I will talk about later, I got over my fear. I did this for my sister, who has seen everything in magic and it fooled the edited out of her.

I am going to use this as a closer at all my paid shows from now on. It is that good. Impromptu, and SUPER powerful.

10/10

Stop:

An effect, or a follow up to Control by Daniel Garcia. This version has the spectator putting their head up to the performers chest and hearing the performers heart stop. This is insanly clever. Another thing you will kick yourself for not coming up with. Again, impromptu. Very, very cool.

I probbably won't use this though because of the akwardness of having a spectator squash their head to your chest.

Very nice thinking though and great to know, just incase you need to perform it.

9.9/10

Watch Stop:

A SUPER bold but powerful effect by Wayne, that can be used as a standalone, but is better used DURING Control. A spectators watch is borrowed and can be stopped or started at will. Impromptu. Amazing.

Another great, great thing to know.

9.8/10

Medic!!!:

A question I hear about this a lot is whether or not you can do this for medical proffesionals. The answer is no. Sorry. You can't.

But you might be able to pull of Stop for a medical proffesional. Probbably not, but way more likely.

Bonus Footage:

The bonus footage was Phenominal! It was hillarious, having about a 10 minute section on messing up during teaching or Wayne talking to his wife. Great section.

Then it has another section with Randall. Actor or not, he is hillarious and really helps you know what NOT to do during a performance of Control. I was scared to try it, but after seeing Randall do it, I felt like I could as well. And I could. Big confidence boost.

And the third section about Danny getting hit in the eye by an invisible bug. It can be watched on T11's website, Trailor Six, but I reccomend waiting till you buy it. It is hillarious.

Bonus footage also gets a 10/10.

Quality:

This whole DVD spews quality in every direction. For some odd reason, it seemed to be better quality than any of the 1on1's or other DVDs from Theory11 I have. Great camera, great music, perfect editing. I love this.

Overall:

When I got Dangerous by Daniel Madison, it became my favorite DVD set. I didn't think anything could beat it. But I was wrong. This can and did. This is now my favorite DVD. The most entertaining magic DVD out there, it almost feels like watching a sitcom.

Please buy this now. Do yourself a favour!

Overall, this DVD gets a 10/10.

I will add more later. If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:27 pm 
born to perform.

I have this and its not nearly as great as you're making it sound. The dvd, teaching, and all that is as good as you make it sound, but the method really isn't that great. Its too easy for people to realize what you're doing.

Personally I think control is just something to do if someone wants to see you stop your pulse because they know you can, but for whatever reason you can't or don't want to do Luke Jermay's pulse stop or just the old method of stopping your pulse.

This is just too easy for people to figure out. There's a reason they barely show Houchin's wrists in the demo.

Also Stop is a joke. Some people can do that method, but others can't do it- period. They're just not able to and I am one of those people. The thing you have to do is something a lot of people like me simply can't do, so its worthless to me, and it was one of the reasons I bought the dvd.

The watch stop is ok, not very good like control, BUT it does work good WITH Control. Thats the only way you're going to use it really.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this because there are MUCH better methods out there for a pulse stop.

Edit:

I also forgot, there could possibly be a LOT of people you won't be able to perform Control for successfully, such as medically trained people for example, but this group is not limited to just that. There are so many people that know enough about taking a pulse Houchin devotes an entire part of the dvd simply to teach you how to figure out who you should use to feel your pulse stop from your audience because it just won't work for some people. Of course you can just move on and get someone else to take your pulse if it doesn't work with someone, but do you really want a method where you might have to do that when you wouldn't have to do that with other methods? Personally I don't, and I suspect if you get someone to take your pulse, then say something to get them to stop, then get someone else to take it, and THEN do the effect, that your spectators will wonder what the point was of the first person taking your pulse. It would just look wierd and not make much sense really to get someone to take your pulse, then someone else and then stop it if you could really stop it.

Viewing angles are also ackward with Control. Its hard to figure out what can be seen from where, which isn't good at all lol. I honestly didn't think angles would even be an issue with an effect like this, but they are because I have yet to figure out a way you could do this where it could be viewed from any angle.

Last edited by thecooltonto on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:31 pm 
Team Penguin

I disagree completely. It is all in the performance. I love how you say, "The secret is too obvious; everyone will know how it is done."

That simply isn't true. No one knows what you are doing. You obviously haven't practiced enough, and if you have, then feel free to disagree. More use for me! I will close all my close up shows with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:32 pm 
born to perform.

One question: can the spectator have basic medical knowledge? Would the normal Control method fool someone who paid attention in biology? Basically, is the "pulse" felt in the location of the actual radial pulse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:37 pm 
born to perform.

Fred531 wrote:
One question: can the spectator have basic medical knowledge? Would the normal Control method fool someone who paid attention in biology? Basically, is the "pulse" felt in the location of the actual radial pulse?

No, its not. Thats a MAJOR problem with Control because you have to try to make sure they don't know how to really take a pulse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:40 pm 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:
I disagree completely. It is all in the performance. I love how you say, "The secret is too obvious; everyone will know how it is done."

That simply isn't true. No one knows what you are doing. You obviously haven't practiced enough, and if you have, then feel free to disagree. More use for me! I will close all my close up shows with it.

It IS an easy effect to figure out. Its not very hard at all compared to most things in my opinion. But of course no one is supposed to know what you're doing ever when you're doing magic, but sometimes they do for whatever reason, and this is one of those effects you will have to worry about getting caught doing on those rare occasions where you just have a bad night and get called out on something. Even the best of the best get caught by people once in awhile, its impossible to fool people 100% of the time, and when they aren't fooled, Control could be a possible effect that didn't fool your spectator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:40 pm 
Team Penguin

But, even if they do know how to take an actual pulse, it is fairly simple to devise a method to do it anyway. He goes over this on the DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:15 pm 
born to perform.

It is a good effect; it's one of those ones that if performed well, can go down a real treat - and if not, is just a lame effect.

It's how much effort you are able to put into the performance.

It can even be performed in a comic way. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:20 pm 
Team Penguin

fspigeon wrote:
It is a good effect; it's one of those ones that if performed well, can go down a real treat - and if not, is just a lame effect.

It's how much effort you are able to put into the performance.

It can even be performed in a comic way. :wink:

Indeed it can. But trust me. If you buy the DVD, even if you think the effect SUCKS, you will still love the entertainment value.