View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: THE PEN THRU DOLLARS
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:00 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 17 Oct 2002
Posts: 3082
Location: New York
I’m going to talk about the Deluxe Pen thru Dollar as opposed to the Stealth Pen thru Dollar, and why they are at opposite ends of my arsenal of magic, as well as the Original Pen from Penguin. I’ll start with the Deluxe and say right off the bat, I don’t recommend it. The cons for this gimmick are: It is a silver, executive style pen, which they market as an advantage, but I find to be a disadvantage. This pen screams gimmick to the spectator. It almost looks like a magic trick. Performing this trick keeps the performer on the edge of his seat. It is a rough not-user-friendly trick to work with. If you are using an old dollar, or most any other form of paper (newspaper, magazine, etc.), and you pull the pen out, you are at risk for ripping it, simply because the gimmick is not even. (The reason it is not even is that the unevenness adds depth to the illusion of the pen sticking through.) For what I have done to somebody’s dollar, this is not worth it at all. Also, you are limited to jabbing the pen through the bill unfolded, which, while it is a still a good effect, makes the trick less gives the trick less variety. The instructions say that you can do the “bill folded around the pen and push the pen up” but honestly I haven’t had much success with this routine and doubt it could be pulled off realistically, as it can with the Stealth Pen thru Dollar. This trick claims to be fully examinable. Fully examinable – for any trick by the way, cards, coins, pens – should mean that the spectator could, in theory, take it home with them, break it apart and find nothing at all. Fully examinable means that whatever the gimmick was that accomplished the effect is the now gone completely. But there is something to find in the Deluxe, and though it is hard to find, I’ve had people find it! The pros for this gimmick are: A good effect, BRIEF examination, heavy duty quality, and one of the deepest cuts for the pen-thru effect, which is still more shallow than any of us would like. In the Deluxe Pen thru Dollar, the cons outweigh the pros, and especially owning the Stealth Pen thru Dollar, I cannot say that I will ever use it again. I give it a 3.
My opinion for the Stealth Pen is nearly opposite. It has its faults, but for all its appeals, the Stealth is definitely part of my absolute arsenal. The pros of this gimmick are: Obviously, the effect is outstanding. Sticking a pen through the dollar bill and pulling it out unharmed plays huge, if done with the correct presentation. It is an ordinary-looking, full-inked, Bic style pen that has a lot of credibility. One of the best parts about this effect, contrary to the Deluxe Pen thru Dollar is that the pen is 100% fully up for examination. There is absolutely nothing left for the spectators to find after the effect is done. In fact, if you have experience with the gimmick and handling, you can have it be fully examined both before and after the effect, which is great. There are a variety of ways you can send the pen through the bill. For one you can jab it through the bill with nothing hidden, or you can fold the bill and push the pen right up through it. These are equally great ways of performing the effect and when you do them back to back, the spectator has trouble forming theories of how the trick is done. The pen can penetrate through anything, as well. Take newspaper, computer paper, the bill, a card, even tissue paper! Finally, the price is less than the Deluxe Pen thru Dollar. It is a great effect for an affordable price. I love this gimmick and use it everywhere, leaving everyone who sees it completely baffled. The cons of this gimmick are: the extremely short distance the pen can go through the bill, which often leads to a lot of suspicion, the ditch of the gimmick, which requires a simple sleight, and the lack of quality of the pen, which as I mentioned, can actually serve as an advantage. I give it an 8.
The Original Pen thru Dollar is well made and has the nice effect. I have a lot of respect for the original but unfortunately it has become outdated. The pros of this gimmick are: This is the most common looking of all pen thru dollar effects because it actually uses a real type of pen, Papermate. The cut is nice and deep, and the pen does everything the Stealth Pen thru Dollar does except for the very serious drawback. The con of this gimmick is: It is not examinable. The Deluxe is kind of examinable, the Stealth fully examinable, but the Original Pen thru Dollar does require a switch to be handed out for examination. The switch is not hard. (Put the pen in your pocket, when they ask to see it, take it back out.) However, because of the alternative that the Stealth Pen provides, I can not recommend this to you most of all. If you are at a professional level of magic, I still do recommend this pen. Paradoxically speaking, the Deluxe Pen is better quality than this, but is more a ripoff than this. Still today I use this pen just for variation, and the switch works fine. I recommend it if you are really into the pen-thru stuff and want a variation. I give it a 5.
Note: Despite my differences in opinion for the Deluxe, Stealth, and Original Pen thru Dollar, both of these gimmicks accomplish the same effect using the same basic principle, as opposed to such tricks as Misled, Dough, and Just Passin’ Thru, also sold at Penguin Magic, which are also pen(cil)-thru effects, but are different methods. I decided not to include comparative reviews of these products, because they work differently. I may post reviews of them individually later, but if you’re shopping for a pen(cil)-thru effect right now, here is how I rank them best to worst: Stealth Pen, Misled, Just Passin’ Thru, Dough, Deluxe Pen.
(Tomorrow’s Review: Hopping Half)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:21 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Posts: 620
Wow, Great review man, thanks.


Keep it up, it helps us out a lot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: THE PEN THRU DOLLARS
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:32 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Posts: 2205
Location: HotShotMagic
magicmandan wrote:
I’m going to talk about the Deluxe Pen thru Dollar as opposed to the Stealth Pen thru Dollar, and why they are at opposite ends of my arsenal of magic, as well as the Original Pen from Penguin. I’ll start with the Deluxe and say right off the bat, I don’t recommend it. The cons for this gimmick are: It is a silver, executive style pen, which they market as an advantage, but I find to be a disadvantage. This pen screams gimmick to the spectator. It almost looks like a magic trick.


Good Review. I have to point out that just because something "screams" gimick to the magician doesn't mean it does the same to the spectator.

There have been many Pro/Con posts in relation to the S/S vs. Dime/Penny and in every post the S/S wins..... How many Mexican coins do you carry? It "screams" gimmick! Get where I'm going?....

I have 3 different pen/dollar tricks and I think the stealth is the strongest. The are all good but that's JMHO.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:39 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 17 Oct 2002
Posts: 3082
Location: New York
I see where you're going but -- funny you mention it -- thats one of the reasons Scotch and Soda is not in my absolute arsenal. I also think you've misunderstood me a bit. All gimmicked tricks "scream gimmick" to the magician, because he/she knows the secret. I really meant what i said though about this looking to be a gimmick to the spectator. It is not a pen I'd usually carry, while the Stealth Pen is. This is what I mean. If I'm not clearing things up, drop me another reply and I'll try to elaborate. Or we may just disagree, which is fine too. -- Dan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:24 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Jul 2003
Posts: 1156
Good job on the review keep up the good work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:46 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 May 2003
Posts: 949
Location: California
yes, i do like a natural looking stealth pen. it's been serving me well for quite a while now. but i do prefer the pen ripping through the dollar as opposed to pulling it out(this would be oz's first handling). there may be a complication with the stealth that could ruin everything. and then you would look like this, :x :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Posts: 2205
Location: HotShotMagic
magicmandan wrote:
I see where you're going but -- funny you mention it -- thats one of the reasons Scotch and Soda is not in my absolute arsenal. I also think you've misunderstood me a bit. All gimmicked tricks "scream gimmick" to the magician, because he/she knows the secret. I really meant what i said though about this looking to be a gimmick to the spectator. It is not a pen I'd usually carry, while the Stealth Pen is. This is what I mean. If I'm not clearing things up, drop me another reply and I'll try to elaborate. Or we may just disagree, which is fine too. -- Dan


We are on the same wave length ~~~~

One of the reason's I don't do misled is that in my world having a yellow pencil screams "GIMIMICK"! An executive pen or any pen for that matter is right at home. :) I guess it's all in the environment.


We agree to agree! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:05 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 29 Mar 2003
Posts: 272
GaryW wrote:
magicmandan wrote:
I see where you're going but -- funny you mention it -- thats one of the reasons Scotch and Soda is not in my absolute arsenal. I also think you've misunderstood me a bit. All gimmicked tricks "scream gimmick" to the magician, because he/she knows the secret. I really meant what i said though about this looking to be a gimmick to the spectator. It is not a pen I'd usually carry, while the Stealth Pen is. This is what I mean. If I'm not clearing things up, drop me another reply and I'll try to elaborate. Or we may just disagree, which is fine too. -- Dan


We are on the same wave length ~~~~

One of the reason's I don't do misled is that in my world having a yellow pencil screams "GIMIMICK"! An executive pen or any pen for that matter is right at home. :) I guess it's all in the environment.


We agree to agree! :)


Completely true! Except I would either use Misled or the stealth pen and would NOT use an executive style pen. That's because I am a teenager and go to school. Pencil and paper are most common things in a class room.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 08 Jan 2003
Posts: 317
Location: Ossining, NY
nice review thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:47 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 10 Nov 2003
Posts: 153
Location: Virginia
ya know.....who really cares if a trick screams gimmick. ya know the big cage that the lovely assistant gets into before it is covered and then uncovered to reveal some form of wildlife......that screams gimmick but people love it. i'd say i prefer ungimmicked tricks but just because a trick is gimmicked wouldn't stop me from buying it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:32 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 17 Oct 2002
Posts: 3082
Location: New York
atced79 wrote:
ya know.....who really cares if a trick screams gimmick. ya know the big cage that the lovely assistant gets into before it is covered and then uncovered to reveal some form of wildlife......that screams gimmick but people love it. i'd say i prefer ungimmicked tricks but just because a trick is gimmicked wouldn't stop me from buying it.


actually, I dont like stage magic for that reason. and i dont like the deluxe pen for the same reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:33 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 10 Nov 2003
Posts: 153
Location: Virginia
i dont like the deluxe pen either. i dont leave home without the stealth pen though. and since penguin has now given me two stealth pens...its the best purchase i've never made :-D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:11 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 4210
Location: Crystal Minnesota!
wow you like to type. could have said that in like 5 sentences


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: naww
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:42 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 23 Nov 2003
Posts: 3487
Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i
i disagree with most of you. i think the deluxe is best because they will hardly ever figure it out. i love it....thanks..


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.