View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SANKEY'S SECRET FILES
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:58 pm 

THE NUTSHELL: Good material, poorly executed.

THE REVIEW: Many will agree, and just as many will disagree with me when I say that Jay Sankey is out of his mind and stupid. Everyone has their personal feelings about different kinds of comedy, so I guess I’ll let you be the judge. Jay is the Jim Carrey of the magic world, with little sophistication to his humor and constant voice impressions. I really hate his presentation of things, but your presentation may be a little less grounded than mine is. Either way, you are paying for the tricks, and though I’m not going to adopt his style, I’m already making room in my routine for the stuff I’ve learned on that video.

You can’t deny the creativity that goes behind almost all of his tricks, and though you won’t use all of them, you’re going to find that a few really float your boat. I wouldn’t buy this set if you’ve been doing magic for less than three months, as it requires an intermediate knowledge of basic sleights. The cool part is that with most of his tricks, Sankey introduces a force or a sleight or an original move, that you can use even if you don’t like that particular trick. These videos require some gimmicks, such as a TT, flash paper, a stripper deck, and a double backer card, and most of the tricks take some setup beforehand. If you follow my suggestion that you wait 2 to 3 months before getting these videos, then you should already have all these gimmicks or they should be in your next order.

All of the tricks have a closeup appeal to them and none of them use any props out of the ordinary. He uses cards, matches, money, and not much else. The tricks I use the most are the multi-phased Strong Medicine (a borrowed and signed bill has a corner ripped off, the corner disappears and is found in an Aspirin bottle which has been in full view the whole time, and finally the bill restores visually; everything’s examinable), Sensations (a copper and silver key are removed from a box, both keys are put into the spectator’s hands, the spectator pulls one out and gives it to the magician – lets say the silver one – the magician and spectator close their fists over their keys and they switch; examinable and instant reset), X (a routine that I feel gives the Invisible Deck its best name), and Midnight Special, where you predict when a spectator was born. I think the first DVD has better material overall, but it’s a hard call.

One thing you might be concerned about after watching the demo video: Is this magic for the real world? It’s a misconception, the same one in fact, that I had before purchasing these videos. What you're probably referring to: The paper hand - its just in substitution for the spectator's hand. The card matchbook - totally a real world trick. The fire? - can be done in any bar or on the street. I thought, like you may be thinking now, that the tricks all use elaborate props and such. THEY DON'T. Its important to clear this up because the reviews do not and I had the same doubts.

The material is mindblowing, and stuff you won’t be able to get anywhere else. The video, like the effects, is high quality, but I’m not wild about how its shot. The “confession” you see in the video demo is where the entire thing is shot. The lighting is poor, Jay looks like he is dying of heat stroke at times, and there’s no real-life performances. That said, I guess its not designed to teach you presentation as much as it is to teach you the tricks. If you are after practical, visual magic – and who isn’t? – there’s no getting around buying this. Despite the many annoying qualities, and there are way too many, I have to recommend these DVD’s. I give it a 7.

Any questions, comments, concerns about the Daily Review? Please write them in the reply section or drop me a line at djsyankees@hvc.rr.com. Thank you.

(Tomorrow's Review: Pyschokinesis -- a comparative review of the Pro PK Kit, PK Factor, and Bat)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:11 pm 
born to perform.

thanks, very nice review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:29 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for that review, and all your other great reviews. They are really helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:06 am 
born to perform.

awesome...thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:09 pm 
born to perform.

Hey I have a review request...If you have this trick that is...or anyone else. Can you review LipSmacker by Paul Harris? it seems like a cool effect. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:39 pm 
born to perform.

Great review, I enjoyed it.

One question: Would it be worth it to spend $30 on the third volume of this DVD set, I'm particularly interested in Paperclipped (#$%@ or something like that)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:54 pm 
born to perform.

jamberry wrote:
Great review, I enjoyed it.

One question: Would it be worth it to spend $30 on the third volume of this DVD set, I'm particularly interested in Paperclipped (#$%@ or something like that)

the secret files and the very best of jay sankey are different sets :? So if you wanted the paperclipped or !@#$ whatever trick you'd buy The Very Best of Jay Sankey Volume 3. secret files is just two volumes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:25 am 
Penguin

:roll: I like them. I'd probably give them a 81/2. Though Sankey acts like freak. But over all good tricks. Though a little cheap and filmed in basement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:42 pm 
born to perform.

Magicmandan- what did you think of the triumph routine in the Secret Files called "180 Degrees?" I have heard that it is very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:09 pm 

180 degrees is good, but I've been doing that routine since long before the secret files. i didn't know it was such a secret...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:07 pm 
born to perform.

I am glad I am not the only one saying it out here. Sankey is an annoying little twit :twisted: , but you can't beat the genius behind his effects. I can't recommend getting this set enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:42 pm 

:x alright, 'nough a me givin the reviews. :lol: tell me more about Sankeys stuff. these are the only videos I have. Im particularly interested in what everybody things of Sankey Live and the Best of Sankey. Don't get personal either, I know he's an [edited], I just want to know about the material. Yours truly -- DAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:52 am 
born to perform.

TVBO Jay Sankey set is one of the best DVD sets in my drawer. The material inside is extremely creative... can be compared to something like Bill Malone's On the Loose series. I personally enjoy jay Sankey's set more. Jay Sankey Live! is pretty good as well. I like his handling of the Color Monte very much, can be learnt on that set.

Secret Files was a decent DVD set. The material on it was good, especially Carbon Paper, Spontaneous Combustion, Chameleon, Fedex Change, Penalty Box, but 180 degrees disappointed me - I've been using the same handlng of his for quite a long time, don't think that you can use any deck at all. He has the best handling hands down for the Invisible Deck (X) on the Secret Files as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:00 am 
born to perform.

TVBO Jay Sankey set is one of the best DVD sets in my drawer. The material inside is extremely creative... can be compared to something like Bill Malone's On the Loose series. I personally enjoy jay Sankey's set more. Jay Sankey Live! is pretty good as well. I like his handling of the Color Monte very much, can be learnt on that set.

Secret Files was a decent DVD set. The material on it was good, especially Carbon Paper, Spontaneous Combustion, Chameleon, Fedex Change, Penalty Box, but 180 degrees disappointed me - I've been using the same handlng of his for quite a long time, don't think that you can use any deck at all. He has the best handling hands down for the Invisible Deck (X) on the Secret Files as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:31 am 
born to perform.

I loved those dvds they were my first penuin trick i got. :D