View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: On The Spot: Read it all.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:46 pm 
born to perform.

Well, let me just say this right out front, this DVD rocks! while, it is not exactly for begginers in magic, it is very good and teaches you some of the best on the spot street magic routines out there. i am only 14, and for me, 50 dollars doesnt come easy and i have to think very hard before spending that kind of money, but when i saw this, i didnt even hesitate, i just dent it to the cart, and bought it. If you have not yet bought this DVD and want to expand your street magic, be liek me and just buy it. Hands fown this is the very best DVD i own.i will try to go in to detail on the tricks so you know exactly what you are getting. i will not say anything about playfull pickpocketing and ticker taker, becaus they are slef explanitory, and are some of the same methods shwon in other works.

I am going to list the tricks in order from my favorite to my least favorite(although i like them all):

1. Recap Revised: This trick, by far, is one of the best tricks i have ever performed. While, you might not be able to get away with it when performing for other magicians, it is one of the best street tricks there are. What happens is you show a pen, with the cap on the tip. You take of the cap, and with a wave, it vanishes only to appear on the other end of the pen. Then with a strike the cap vanishes right before their eyes, and is pulled out form behind your knee. Right after that, the magician raises the pen up, and while going back down, the pen is gone. But, th magician lets you in on the gig, he shows them that the pen was just up behind his ear. then, he strikes down on the cap again, but it is gone again, and once again, is in his ear. Now, when he grabs the pen, he shows that the pen is gone, but then makes a bold staement: he says it is in the cap, and he reaches in, and out comes the pen.
I love this trick, and can not get enough of it, i perform this for anyone who will watch, and sometimes even to those who dont want to watch. I give this trick 10/10!

2.Quick Silver: WOW! This trick is awesome! i got it, ad with minimal practice i did it to my grandma and she flipped. i have never seen a face like that. this trick is a complete showstopper!
First, you start out with a coin, show it around, and then you make it vanish, only for it to appear in your eye. the same thing is done again, it is shown, and again vanishes, but this time appears on the spectators shoulder. and once again, he makes it vanish this time to appear in a very startling spot, in the spectators watch! this trick is outstanding, and gets some of the best reactions, i give it 10/10.

3.Florida Keys: I can not count on my hands and feet together how many times i perfomred this the first day i go the DVD, it is that good. This trick looks very good while maintaining an impossible task, linking keys on and off a key ring. the tricks starts buy a person pulling out a key ring, with 2 keys on it. he takes one off, and places it in his other hand, and with one motion, he he makes it link onto the ring, he then, takes it right back off without any trouble, and one more time, makes it link onto the ring, but in mid-air! If that is not magical, i dont know what is, that again is a show stopper. i give this trick 10/10!

4.Questionable Trick: Hahaha, another show stopper by Gregory Wilson. i use this trick all the time when i perform on the street, i mean, the people say " i know the dome was in there, i just know it was," some people even say they felt it! this trick is so good, hardly anyone can figure it out. the trick starts out by showing a dime and a penny, which he places in the spectators hand. he then has the spectator take out one of the coins, for instant the penny, and places it on the back of their wrist. the magician the covers the coin up, and when he revmoves his hand, the penny is now a dime, then the spectator opens his hand to find the penny, laying there. They switched places! The routine is done completely impromtu, all you need is a pocket of change. i give this trick 10/10.

5.99 Cent Trick: This trick, is a very good one, the ones above art hard acts to follow, but this is one that can follow up pretty well. i do have to say it fails in comparison to the other (my opinion) but it definately shouldnt be taken for granted.
The trick starts by someone handing the magician a handfull of chang. he piucks up a quarter, and makes it vanish. he again picks up and vanishes a quarter 2 more times. once more he picks up a quarter, puts it in his other hand, and says "making this quarter vanish would make this the 1 dollar trick, but i said this was the 99 cant trick," he then opens his hand to find a penny, making it 99 cents that vanished. again, this i believe isnt as good as the ones above, but it still earns 9/10.

6.3/4 Across: While most people would put this higher, i dont, not because i cant do it (i can very well) and not because it is an older trick, just because i dont really ever use it. dont get me wrong tho, it is a very good trick, and can be done completely impromtu, i just dont like it as much as others.
This trick starts out nby showing 3 coins. All coins are in one hand, when the other hand closes, 1 coin has jumped to the other hand, the coin is shwon, both hands are closed, and when opened another has jumped. again, it is shown, the hands are closed, and when opened, all are in the other hand.
This trick is completely impromptu, and will astound many audiences, even tho i dont use it, you most likely will. it takes about 10 minutes for people who are used to coin magic, but maybe an hour or 2 for people who are not. i give this trick a 9/10

7.Toll Free: This trick also is another i really like, just dont use to much. it is a great trick, and can scare the people really bad. it is fairly impromptu, all you need is a handfull of change. it is very good, and you will be ready to perform it in minutes.
The magician first starts by showing a quarter, and says he has a way to get free phone calls on pay phones. he takes the quarter, places it in his pocket, and with a snap, the coin is back in the other hand, that was there the whole time. He repeats this many times over and over, thn says, but if you are greedy, here is how you make money. he puts the coin in his pocket, and with a snap, the coin is now a giant sized coin. Again, this trick is great, and will be one of your favorites, i give this trick 9/10.

8.Head Trip: let me tell you, this trick will scare one persom in the audience, while the others are dying of laughter. I use this whenever i have people sitting down, so in other words, i hardly ever have a chance to use this.
The routine starts by rolling up a napkin, and holding it one hand. The magician crosses his ares back and forth in an attempt to make it hard to remember which hand it is in, and when the audience member gets it right/wrong, the magician asks this again, and the specttor is wrong, because the ball has vanished. this is repeated over and over, using everything, even plates and cups! This trick gets laughs every time, and is great for resteraunt work, i give it 8/10.

9.Glossy Finish. This trick is a good one, but not all that hard to figure out, even when performed perfectly, but most people are to amazed to figure it out. But, if they do not figure it out, they are completely in awe. It is good for most all circumstances, so you will be ready at all times.
The trick starts by borrowing someones lipstick. he hands it to an audience member and has him mark the back of a volunteers hand. the magician then starts to wipe it off, but says he is nor merely wiping it off, he is making the skin obsorb it. He has the volunteer open his/her hands, and there is the lipstick, on the inside of her hand. Again, this is completely impromtu, and can be done with most lipsicks, i give it 8/10.

10.Ring fright: Imagine, scaring the pants off somebody, when you throw their borrowed wedding ring up in the air, and trying to stab it with your finger. That would scare me if i was married. Also, imagine, you throwing that ring at a car, again, very scary. but, the ring is actually still on your finger. That is what this trick is, it is not to big, but it is very fun and will get good laughs and screams! I give this trick another 8/10.

11.Paper napkins: I will not go to deep into this trick, it is just another sponge ball trick, but, it is done with napkins. Greg teaches you how to get away with using the paper sponge balls, and even gives you a good routine for people not used to sponge ball tricks. again, this is a routine many sponge ball artists are used to, so it really isnt anything new, but still i give is 7/10 for creativity of the trick.

Well, hat summons up my review, i hope you like it and i Severly advize you to buy this if you have not already, this possibly could be the DVD that takes you form intermediate to master in the art of street magic. Thank you for reading.

Kyle Brown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:06 pm 

he told me to... must read all... must read all...

nice review thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:23 pm 
born to perform.

That's your best review by far. Great review. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:25 pm 
born to perform.

Good review.....
And I agree one of the best purchases I've ever made.......

I just wish that I could trade my tapes for the DVDs oh well.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:30 pm 

Great review. The most thorough I've read on these videos. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:15 am 
born to perform.

thanks for the positive feedback, glad it helped some of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:17 pm 
Penguin

I see this a lot on the Penguin discussion site..."i got the DVD today and already fooled the pants off my brother". Or things similar to that.

The DVD for On the Spot hasn't been out that long, but this prodigy Kevin Brown is already performing almost every routine in the video. Hes' already decided which ones he doesn't really perform much. Sorry, I'm not trying to pick on him, I'm sure kevin is a good magician. But the speed at which you many of folks apparently learn new routines is difficult to believe.

All I can say is either you youngins' don't practice as much as you really should or you are all amazingly more adept at this stuff than us old timers. I've been working on 3/4 across for about 2 months, not every single day, but maybe a few hours a week. I'll probably have it to where I feel it is at performance level in a few more months.

But it seems I'm constantly reading in these forums about people saying things like "I practiced this for almost a week to get it down". Gosh really??? That long , huh?

I can't say that I don't believe you but I will say I'll believe it when I see your performance. Am I the only one on here that feels this way? Just curious.

Best,
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:10 am 
born to perform.

as mentioned above, he is seeing us younger people doing tricks faster, but also, i am seeing that the older people are taking a little more time and making judgments on how peoples work habbits are. as for me, i do not have much of a job, i only have to come in once a week, and i practice my trick hours after hours, untill i can perform them right. like for the LDS, most people say that it took them 20 days, or even longer. but me, i practiced for 2 days, most of each of the days, and got it down. i know there was no offense intentioned here, but i do not like to see people disbelieve without any evidence of false information. i did work all day for 4 days straight over christmas break, and got 3/4 accross down, and even perform it for people, and as for the other tricks, they were mostly easy, for i already knew most of recapped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:04 pm 
Penguin

awesome review...i think you just made me really want to buy it...i am also 14 yrs old too so it gave me some confidence to get it...i wasnt quite sure whether 50 dollars was worth it but you changed my mind ..thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:04 pm 
born to perform.

ye - i'm 14, and i hope to get this soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:09 pm 
born to perform.

Great review. Sounds like an excellent DVD and I hope to purchase it soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:38 pm 
born to perform.

another good review

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:42 pm 
born to perform.

I have the DVD and also recommend it hugley. The only thing I would change is head trip. It gets great reactions when done right, and you can do it with shoes, wallets, backpacks, books...anything as long as you have a catcher. :lol: Give head trip at least an 8/10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:46 pm 
born to perform.

i plan on getting it in a week or two and its easy to learn from right?
no 50.00 doesnt come easy for us people who dont have jobs and thats why we get it down so fast we dont have jobs so that means more practice time i need a job for my magic but unfortunately to young hey kevin how is the playful pickpocketing he teaches? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:15 pm 
born to perform.

yes, it is easy to learn from, and it should be for the price. although it is expensive, it is worth every penny. And i have empathy for you, i am only 14 and i dont have a job, so when i want to get things i do anything i can to get money, including street magic. So if you are skeptical about getting it since it is $50.00, save up cuz its worth it.