View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: REVIEW: Hundy 500
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:27 pm 
born to perform.

Name: Hundy 500 by Gregory Wilson (DVD)
Price: $25.95
Learning Curve: 30 min – 1 hour (depending upon how long it takes you to make the gaff)
Difficulty: Beginner
Running Time: N/A

IN A FLASH: Wilson’s routine is the BEST version of the effect out today. Couldn’t ask for more! 9.5/10

PROS:
- Excellent effect!
- Greg's teaching and performance are excellent. He also teaches you some tips and psychology behind, very useful not only in this routine.
- The DVD production couldn’t be any higher
- 100% angle proof
-Works with all type of currency…
- Pack small and plays huge (fits right into my wallet).
- Instant Reset.

CONS:
- More expensive than the other effects like it (3-D Cash, Visi-bill, Hypnobill).
- There is a gaff, and if you want to do the effect like Wilson (changes $1s to $100s) you better have $606.00 just lying around.
- One could argue about the change not being as visual as others (get into this more later).

Review:
The Effect-
You show 5 $1.00 dollar bills fronts and back very fairly. You stack them. You fold the stack in half and it's a $100 dollar bill. People are amazed at this point. You then open the stack and show ALL of the bills are $100 bills. You can do this completely surrounded and with people looking down and from over your shoulder. After the change you cleanly and fairly show 5 $100 bills, fronts and backs. (NOTE: you do not have to use $1s and $100s, you could use different currency)

Wilson shows you 5 performances of the effect in real world situations, with 5 completely different reactions. I think we all have done what we think is just a knock 'em dead effect and have gotten a totally different reaction from totally different audiences. This is what he shows you. Some people are like 'Cool, now I'll be on my way' and others are more “Holy crap! What the #$%& did you just do? Show me that again, you rock, let me have your baby.” So in terms of reactions, I think this is top-notch stuff. Wilson also shows you multiple ways of presenting the trick and multiple out-liners for all the types of reactions the spectator will give you (Can you do this with my money?, etc)

There is a gaff in this trick that you are required to make…No worries though, Wilson’s teaching on the making the gaff couldn’t be any better. The money you use to make the gaff will not go to waste either because of the way it’s constructed ($606.00 is a lot of money to cough up, if you choose to use hundreds). The gaff goes completely unnoticed in the routine…you show all the bills, front and back! 4 of the 5 bills are completely examinable and can actually be borrowed!

The major question that everyone has about this is if it better than when being compared to Slow-Burn. Slow-Burn is the same effect as Hundy 500 but the bills change as you “wave” your hands over the bill (check out the demo at Penguin Magic). The gimmick in both routines is essentially the same but I think Hundy is a lot better, for many reasons. EVERY move of Hundy 500 is motivated. In Slow-Burn, immediately after the change, you have to fold the bills up and unfold them again (in order to hide the gimmick). Why would you fold the bills again to display them? It doesn't make sense, and causes a lot of suspicion. It has major discrepancies that will make your specs know something funny is going on your specs. "With a wave of my hand the bills change! Here let me show you after I finish folding them."

As nice as Slow Burn looks, you wouldn't have been able to do that color change in all of the situations because of the angles. Wilson’s routine is made for real world situations, you can perform is with people ALL around you in any situation (as long as you have the gaff…duh). So the angles, the handling and motivation for the way the bills are handled (every small detail thought out) are the reasons I feel Hundy 500 is far superior.

Final Score: 9.5/10
Making any gaff is annoying…

Last edited by joeKing on Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:26 pm 
born to perform.

thanks I think that I will go buy that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:18 pm 
born to perform.

sk8board wrote:
thanks I think that I will go buy that

No Problem. It is a great buy! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:36 am 
Penguin

Yeah, this is the oldest trick in the book. I think 20 years ago I bought this with fake money (theater money) where the trick was called "Stakato". Wonder how you can make a full video out of this and charge 30 USD for it. It's a pretty strong trick though, and good way in to money tricks. You could follow it up by taking one og the ungaffed bills and then perform misled or stealth pen. Or you could even do a simple bill switch before you move on to Misled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:08 am 

This is the first review I've read that is as persuasive as it should be. If you are a closeup magician, this is a must-have for all the reasons JoeKing spoke of. Excellent work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:04 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks, dan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:03 pm 
Penguin

Can you use bills with different size and color, like other currencies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:07 pm 
born to perform.

1. They HAVE to be the same Size
2. They may be the different color, but MAY be harder pull the trick off.

I use the New 20s and the regular 1s. Not the SAME color, but you can geta away w/ it if you handle it well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:46 am 
born to perform.

lets say u put togeather the gimmick right, can u ever use the 1's and 100's again or are they gone and can only be used for the trick.

in other words can u still spend the gimmicked money if u need to??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:55 pm 
born to perform.

Yep, sure can.
NO BILLS ARE DESTROYED

however, in the gimmicked state, they aren't useable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:14 pm 
Penguin

I have Ammar's money miracles and it looks VERY close to one of the effects on there. Should I bother spending the extra cash for the handling? The ammar handling is close to that, but it seems there must be a small difference to make it more usable. Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:31 pm 
born to perform.

If you could go into more detail on how Ammar's runs and what makes it less-usuable when compared to Hundy I could get you a better answer....but if the version of the effect you preform is getting you reactions and you never get caught, why bother spending money on a new one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:34 pm 
Penguin

Pm'ed....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:03 pm 
Penguin

Can you change them back? I just wanted to know just in case I borrow the bills so I don't have to give out $400 to strangers. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:29 pm 
born to perform.

in the dvd he says not to change them back for the sole purpose that you would be doing the same trick twice which would give them more chance to try and figure out how it wsa done. so to answer your question yes you can but it would be at your own risk. i would NOT reccomend doign that