View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mastering the Art of Pickpocketing Review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:19 am 
born to perform.

Mastering the Art of Pickpocketing

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=599

Mastering the Art of Pickpocketing is like it says on the title, a DVD that teaches you how to pickpocket. First let's look at the pros and cons of the DVD.

Pros:

They teach you how to pickpocket whether you're left-handed or right-handed. Also, the chapter menu is easy to navigate through. The quality of the DVD is really nice. The sound is good and same with the video. Nicholas Byrd and James Coats teach pretty well. Also, the price of the DVD is decent.

Cons:

This DVD is a total waste of money if you are not one of those people who walk up to other people, shake their hand, give them a hug, and say: "Hey, how's it going, " while patting them on the back. Also, another bad thing is that they title on the side of the DVD case is upside down!!! :lol: Seriously, it doesn't fit in with the rest of my DVDs. Also, sometimes, they skip through stealing something like a belt by saying that it is similar to stealing watches and stuff.

Overall, I give the DVD a 9.5. Great material, easy navigation, great price, and great quality. What brought it down was that they sometimes rush through things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:33 am 
born to perform.

so would it be worth it if you are dont know ANYTHINg about pickpocketing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:08 pm 
Penguin

Actually I'm interested to know can you really steal people's stuff....

Has anyone here actually used the knowledge of these DVDs to successfully pickpocket someone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:28 pm 
born to perform.

sk8board wrote:
so would it be worth it if you are dont know ANYTHINg about pickpocketing?

Yes it would, but if you're not those touchy kind of people, I wouldn't suggest it.

Lonewalker wrote:
Actually I'm interested to know can you really steal people's stuff....

Has anyone here actually used the knowledge of these DVDs to successfully pickpocket someone?

I think tons of people have...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:22 am 
born to perform.

Location: Oh yeah? Well a 7 nation army couldnt hold me back biaaaaaaaaaaaaatch
Im not trying to start anything but I just wanted to ask if scorpio has ever bought anything else on pickpocketing. To be honest, it might seem like a good dvd for people that have never experienced this art but its very poorly done. Their explanations are short and not in depth and they only go over the basics of every area. People on the forums are always complaining that they're getting caught and you should get something like "How to pick a pocket or two" and compare them with The dvd. Its really not that informative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:47 am 
born to perform.

Freed wrote:
Im not trying to start anything but I just wanted to ask if scorpio has ever bought anything else on pickpocketing. To be honest, it might seem like a good dvd for people that have never experienced this art but its very poorly done. Their explanations are short and not in depth and they only go over the basics of every area. People on the forums are always complaining that they're getting caught and you should get something like "How to pick a pocket or two" and compare them with The dvd. Its really not that informative.

Hmm... I never did buy anything else, cause I'm just not the touchy kind of person. I find myself doing things I learned from this DVD occasionally, but not much... Well, I'm not sure, but there's something else called something like The Art of Theatre Pickpocketing, (not sure of the name) that people seem to like if they hated Mastering the Art of Pickpocketing. Anyways, I did say that they did skip over some things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:21 pm 
Penguin

Scorpio wrote:
I think tons of people have...

But how about you're own experience? Have you ever tried pickpocketing? And what's the success rates? high?

I'm just wondering cause I'm seriously thinking of getting the dvds....

freed wrote:

Could you give me more details about the DVDs you recommend? Who's the authour, how the get it etc...
And have you personally used the info or know anyone who did and succeed in pickpocketing?

I'm kinda hoping that first rolex I steal and sell won't be the last....

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:43 am 
born to perform.

James' Coat's DVDs are terrible. Mastering the Art of Pickpocketing is something you will either like or hate - most people seem to hate it. His teaching is brief and unclear, he comes off as arrogant, and several of his spectators seem to be stooges. Also others come off as confused by what's happening.

Theatrical Pickpocketing is the best. Stealing the Show is great, though it is only available from one place (don't know whether I can type the URL though). On the Spot has a small segment on pickpocketing that provides some good tips as well.

but Pickpocketing on the whole is something you have to play around wiht - it isn't something that can be studied and practiced like magic. You just have to play around with it - do it on the offbeat, etc, and you'll just get better at it. I'm actually more experienced at pickpocketing than I am at magic because I've been playing around with it for fun for a LONG time already.