View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: on the spot hits the spot
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm 
Penguin

here's my review of on the spot

this is my first review so bare with me.
a few years ago i read about the vhs 2 tape On The Spot and i was thinking this is what i need. I've never seen greg wilson before this but the write up was awesome, but i always put it off thinking it seemed too good to be true. I finally bought it when it came out on dvd and was blown away. this is some of the best impromtu around, like the ad says, "Imagine showing up at your next gig with no tricks in your pocket."
I'll break it down;

ticker taker 5/10 and only because its like any other watch steal i've seen.

quick silver 8/10 good reactions and some neat little techniques for hiding a quarter and ditching one as well.

sponge napkins 10/10 before this i never messed with sponge balls, they just seemed too magic kit ish, ya feel me? I do a lot of restaurant work and stuff for friends "on the spot" so this routine is perfect. Set up is seemless. put away your sponge balls

open palm coins across 8/10 again because its similar to others and its a bit of a misnomer your hands are closed when they come across. but good reactions

head trip 5/10 classic over the top stuff you've probably done this stuff to your little brother with anything and everything.

glossy finish 5/10 I've performed this for years after i quit smoking and hung out with people that don't smoke and don't have ashtrays laying around. ye ole ash through fist revamp

toll free 10/10 this is great, its quick and to the point and the finish always freaks people out especially when implemented with ticker taker. the sleight employed here is invaluable.

99cent trick 8/10 not bad if you have a lot of change on you, it takes more than 99 cents to provide some camoflage for this one, but its not bad.

florida keys 8/10 great idea but you have to use your own keys unless you luck out and find some one with a key the same as your duplicate. great routine with hints of sankey and a linking pretzel routine i use to do.

ring fright 5/10 not so much a trick as it is an amusement. It won't wow the crowd but it will get them momentarily scared, perhaps angry.

trick question questionable trick 8/10 great impromptu scotch and soda or vodka and orange juice bit. again not a crowd wower but it'll get them thinking. do it twice to mess with them.

playful pickpocketing 5/10 i don't do any of this because i'm afraid i'll get slapped. amusing if they know that you're not actually stealing from them.

recap revisited 18/10 this is the reason you should buy this video. I read a write up that said this was always performed by someone at the waiting line at the magic castle, and if you see it you'll know why. Great routine for impromptu i do it all the time, but there is one catch; to complete the entire routine you'll need to be wearing a watch or bracelet and in this time of lance armstrong braclets it shouldn't be a problem. The spinning bit is a great little test of skill to show off just messing around.

so there you have it. I know i gave some a 5 but thats only because i don't use those tricks very often, but i do use some of the sleights for things other than these routines. there are some things that just hit you and make you go wow i could use that for this trick or that one, and then combine these routines with others in your repetoir and you've got yourself a show in your pants......pockets i mean.

It does seem a bit pricey but come on we're all wary to pay such ahefty price to be great, you're not selling your soul for crying out loud. Money, it flows in and out of our lives like snow, there will always be more.

P.S. combine toll free with morgan streblers closer for a finish and you'll be amazed at the reactions you get.

thank you for your time, Oz and his band of merry man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:19 pm 
born to perform.

I like your review!
time and time again I find myself going back and watching this dvd.
Not only does it teach some great routines, but it also teaches about misdirection.
definatly a good purchase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:27 pm 
born to perform.

110% agreed with you there. This is one of my favourites. You CAN"T go wrong with this DVD. I've learnt so much from it and like Keith, I find myself going back to it, just watching the way greg handles his spectators. it's great!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:39 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of the Sluggo for U.S. President Committee
Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about On the Spot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:57 pm 
Penguin

i think you might have just bought this over for me thanks its goin on my xmas list

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

yeh, thanks your review really sold me on it. i am going to buy this dvd as soon as possible. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:41 pm 
Penguin

I preordered this video set when it originally came out on tape 5 years ago. I cannot recommend it enough.
Florida keys is fantastic and the one thing I have at the ready guarenteed because I never leave the house without my keys. By the way, I use my car key and small mail box key. One is silver and HUGE, the other is gold and tiny.