The "flame silk" is a Jay Scott Berry concept Produced by Goshman Products with routines and ideas by Duane Laflin.
- Use it with vanishing candies! Rather than having a candle simply turn into a solid color silk, have it become a "flame silk"! You can also produce a "flame silk" from a candle flame.
- Use it to represent fire! This is especially valuable in situations where you cannot or should not use real fire. For a magic cooking routine, or "hot trick" instead of real fire, put a "flame silk" into your dove pan or magical coffee vase.
- Use it for fire safety shows! Pull the "flame silk" out of a production box to represent fire. Or you can use it in a change bag, drop in a yellow silk to represent oxygen, a red silk to represent heat and maybe an orange silk to represent flammable articles. Then switch them to the "flame silk" to make your lesson.
- Use it to add flash to a silk manipulation routine. (Here is where the set of silks gets used). Before the show, hold the solid red silk and solid yellow silks side by side. Together, push them into a dye tube. Palm the dye tube. Begin the effect by showing just the "flame silk". Emphasize the picture on it and make it clear it is only one silk. Start pushing this "flame silk" into your hand - actually into a dye tube. Pull the other two silks out of the bottom of your hand - actually out of a dye tube. The two silks come down side by side appearing as one silk. First it appears that the "flame silk" has re-configured itself. Then it becomes clear that one silk has now become two separate silks, one red and one yellow. This looks very good!
- Make a longer routine out of it. Load a dye tube with the red silk first. Then also push in the "flame silk". Because these are diamond silks, they will both fit in the tube. Begin by showing the audience your empty hands and the yellow silk. (The dye tube is palmed). By way of standard dye tube moves, push the yellow silk into your fist and turn it into the red silk. Offer to do this again, but this time when you push the red silk into the top of your hand, our comes a "flame silk"!
Introduce the routine by telling the audience this is a "Hot trick". In context of the sucker dye tube routine, tell the audience how you thought you had figured out what the magician as doing, but in the end you were "burned". Tell the audience this is a trick you are really "Fired up" about. Talk about introducing the audience to your "latest flame" and this time it isn't a woman Elvis might sing about - "latest flame", "burning love." It is a magic trick! More "flame silk" ideas:
Use it for the flash string to silk effect! The string, in a flash of fire becomes a picture of fire. For a story line, remember the "Phoenix", a creature that rose up out of its ashes. A neat trick could be built up around that idea. You can produce something from the "flame silk" or talk about victory rising from the flames
Includes three diamond cut silks: red, yellow, and graphic printed "flame silk".